Eating ripe papaya during the pregnancy journey is considered safe. However, it's advisable to devour ripe papaya moderately, as immoderate food consumption can cause digestive pain. Here are some benefits of eating ripe papaya in pregnancy:
- Papaya in pregnancy can boost immunity because it contains vitamins A, B, and C, potassium, beta carotene, and high levels of antioxidants.
- Helps to reduce morning sickness
- Contains folic acid, which is essential for a baby's spinal cord and brain development.
- Helps to reduce constipation issues and makes digestion easier.
- In the right portion, papaya can improve milk production as well.
Why Should Pregnant Women Avoid Unripe or Green Papaya?
Here are some reasons that suggest why you should avoid green or unripe papaya in the pregnancy journey:
- Raw papaya in pregnancy contains high levels of latex, which can induce uterine contractions and premature labor. Latex contains papain, which the body can confuse for hormones that induce contractions.
- Avoiding raw papaya in the early stages of pregnancy is best because it increases menstrual flow, leading to miscarriage.
- It can disrupt the cell growth and tissue development of the growing foetus. Overall, it has the potential to harm the embryo.
- Green papaya is harmful to the placenta because the papain can cause internal bleeding on the edges of the placenta. It can increase the chances of complications during delivery and is strictly avoided during the third stage.
- Raw papaya in pregnancy can increase bowel movement due to its high-fiber content. It can increase the pressure around the uterus and pelvic region, leading to miscarriage.
Read more: click here